Sunday History Photo / SA

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:42
ThreadID: 72222 Views:3410 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Giles Weather Station (also referred to as Giles Meteorological Station or Giles) is located in Western Australia near the South Australian border, about 750 kilometres West-South-West of Alice Springs and 330 kilometres West of Uluru. It is the only staffed weather station within an area of about 2,500,000 square kilometres and is situated mid-continent and near the core of the subtropical jetstream. This means it plays an important role as a weather and climate observatory for the country, particularly eastern and southeastern Australia, and particularly for rainfall predictions. The station is located on the Great Central Road and the nearest township is the Warakurna aboriginal settlement, 1 kilometre South. Giles is within the Shire of Ngaanyatjarraku and is in the foothills of the Rawlinson Ranges.
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
A staff of four operate the remote station on six-monthly tours. A 1,600-metre (5,200 ft) airstrip services the station and the Warakurna community.
In the late 1940s and 1950s, surveyor and roadbuilder Len Beadell cut several tracks west of Alice Springs through to Warburton, including the Connie Sue Highway and the Gunbarrel Highway (which links Carnegie Station and Giles). In doing so he graded the current airstrip and proposed the Giles site. Len’s grader, which is estimated to have travelled over 30,000 kilometres in the course of making the roads, was retired in 1963 and is preserved and on display at Giles.
The Weapons Research Establishment established the site for meteorological purposes in 1956, to support nuclear weapons testing at Emu Field and Maralinga. Later, it provided support for rocket testing programs at Woomera, with Giles being downrange from the launch site. Wreckage from the first Blue Streak missile, launched from Woomera on 5 June 1964, is also on display at the station.
Image Could Not Be Found
In 1972 control of the station was transferred from the Department of Defence to the Bureau of Meteorology.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 11:45

Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 11:45
Gday Doug,

Another entertaining piece of our history.

I always look forward to reading your Sunday History posts. Thank you for taking the time to write these up and posting them each Sunday. Its much appreciated by many I'm sure.

Cheers mate.
AnswerID: 382966

Reply By: Member - Brad S (SA) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 14:40

Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 14:40
Thanks for that Doug.

My late father, Jack Spehr, used to travel to Giles to fix the radar for them, twenty to thirty years ago. He said it was one of his favouriate destinations. He would fly to Alice Springs then drive to Giles...took three or four days.

Cheers
Brad
AnswerID: 382977

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 16:04

Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 16:04
Thanks Doug. What a great topic. All admiriers of the Len Beadell and his crew will know just how crucial Giles was as a base for the GCP and their epic road grading journy's of the 50's and 60's.

My first visit to Giles was in 1984. Still an "Out fo the way" place back then. The sign as you came into the place said "Welcome to Giles - Give way to planes"! The old Gunbarrel actually ran into the end of the airstrip which you had to cross to get to Giles. They were still using a GCP grader for maintenance work about the place. My how things have changed.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 382990

Reply By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 23:16

Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 23:16
Wouldn't it be good if we could find the young Aboriginal boy after all this time, maybe he ended up as a scientist or weather forecaster, who knows ??
AnswerID: 383042

Sponsored Links